Momos are extremely popular among the natives of the Indian subcontinent and can be found in every kind of shop from restaurant to street stalls. it has two types of steams and fries.
There are many varieties of momos you can find at the stalls. The verities meaning, it has different kinds of stuff like meat (chicken, mutton, lamb, prawns), vegetables, paneer, etc. Now I am sharing the steaming Veg momos recipe.
nowadays it is a very common dish in every home. Speaking of vegetables, I have used carrot, onion, cabbage, and capsicum. You can add mushrooms, green beans, cooked potatoes, baby corn, bean sprouts, etc.
It is very easy to make at home except for the shaping part. Shaping them is not hard, but it is a little time consuming, and shaping them perfectly requires some practice. I have shared only one shapes method in step by step photos like round pleated (Potli shape). just you can follow my step .if you make in other shapes search in google you can find many types of shapes.
For Momos Stuffing:
- Oil-1 tablespoon
- Giger(fine chopped)-1 teaspoon
- Garlic(fine chopped)-2 teaspoon
- Onion(fine chopped)-1 cup
- Cabbage(fine grated)-1 cup
- Beans (fine chopped)-1 cup
- Carrot (fine chopped)-1 cup
- Black Paper Powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as per test
- Green Chili (fine chopped)-2 teaspoon
- Soya Sauce- 1/2 teaspoon
- Banana Leaf- 1no
For Outer Cover:
- All-purpose flour(maida)-1 cup
- Salt as per test
-: METHOD OF MOMOS:-
Preparing The Mixture-
1. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat-high heat. Once hot add ginger and garlic.
Saute for a few seconds. Make sure not to burn them.
2. Now add chopped veggies (onion, cabbage, carrot, beans).
3. Mix and continue cooking with stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes.
4. Veggies will start to soften.
5. Now add salt and pepper.
6. Again mix and cook for 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the vegetables, we do not want them mushy and mix.
7. Also, add soy sauce.
8. Stir well to combine and turn off the gas flame. the mixture cools down keep aside.
Making Outer Cover:-
- taking a small bowl.
- put all-purpose(maida).
- add salt
- Add little water at a time and knead into a smooth yet firm dough. Cover it and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Now make smooth balls. Take one ball and roll into a 4-inch diameter circle. Keep the edges thinner compared to the center.
6. Put about a tablespoon of stuffing in the center. To shape the momos
7. Then join all of them in the center and seal it. There you have a Potli shaped momo ready. Here it is ready.
8. Similarly, shape all of them.
9. Now to steam cook them, add a glassful of water in a steamer pan and bring it to a simmer on medium heat. put a banana leaf on Grease the steamer tray with oil and arrange the shaped momos on it.
10. Steam them for 6-8 minutes. check every minute once cooked, it becomes transparent, shiny and by touch, it won’t feel sticky. Do not overcook them otherwise it becomes chewy.
11. Remove from the steamer and serve hot or warm with chutney.